Old Pueblo Knitters
Of OLD PUEBLO KNITTERS GUILD OF TUCSON, ARIZONA
Chapter of The Knitting Guild of America
These Amended By-Laws were adopted at the General Membership meeting on MAY 17, 2018.
ARTICLE I -- NAME AND PURPOSE
1. This organization shall be known as the OLD PUEBLO KNITTERS, or hereafter referred to as OPK, chapter of THE KNITTING GUILD OF AMERICA and be affiliated with and recognized by THE KNITTING GUILD OF AMERICA.*
2. The purpose of this local chapter shall be to provide education and communication to advance the quality of workmanship and creativity in knitting endeavors and to contribute in appropriate ways to charitable community organizations.
ARTICLE II -- POLICY
1. No organization bearing the name of OLD PUEBLO KNITTERS shall discriminate against members because of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, income, marital status, educational background, or any other factor. 2. OPK may not form a cooperative in order to obtain a business license or a tax number for the purpose of buying knitting supplies at a wholesale price.
ARTICLE III -- MEMBERSHIP
1. Any person who is interested in the purpose of this organization may become a member by payment of dues.
2. Membership becomes effective once a person pays his or her dues.
3. Continued membership is contingent upon renewals (payment of dues) at the beginning of each OPK year (January 1 through December 31).
ARTICLE IV -- DUES
1. The fiscal year of OPK shall commence January 1 and end December 31.
2. Payment of dues, in an amount determined by the Board of Directors, shall be due and payable by December 31 of each year.
4. Members who become delinquent by non-payment of dues by January 1 will be removed from membership and mailing lists.
ARTICLE V -- MEETINGS
1. OLD PUEBLO KNITTERS shall meet once a month throughout the year, unless changed by the Executive Committee.
2. The Executive Committee shall determine the time of the meetings.
3. The Executive Committee, or someone appointed by the Executive Committee shall be responsible for making meeting room/space arrangements when needed.
4. The Annual Membership Meeting will be in November at which time the election of officers will be held.
ARTICLE VI -- BOARD OF DIRECTORS
1. The Executive Committee is composed of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Chair and Newsletter Chair. The Executive Committee shall have general supervision of OPK between its business meetings.
2. The Board of Directors is composed of the Executive Committee of OPK and those members appointed by the President to serve as head of committees and other functions.
3. The Board of Directors shall meet at such time and place as the President shall direct, with the agreement of the Board. Special meetings of the Board may be called by the President and shall be called upon the written request of three (3) members of OPK. There shall be at least one Board of Directors meeting at the beginning of the membership year.
4. A majority of the Board shall constitute a quorum of transacting business or voting at any meeting,
5. Vacancies on the Board shall be filled by appointment of the President with the approval of the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE VII -- ELECTION OF OFFICERS
1. The President shall appoint a Nominating Committee Chairman in September for the purpose of nominating a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Membership Chair for the next annual term. Currently serving officers/chairpersons should be contacted by the nominating committee to see if they wish to continue before seeking new candidates.
2. The Chairman of the Nominating Committee shall present a slate of officers at the October Board of Directors Meeting.
3. Said slate of officers shall be announced at the October Membership Meeting.
4. Election of officers shall be held at the November Membership Meeting.
5. The newly elected officers shall take office after the December Membership. Meeting.
ARTICLE VIII -- DUTIES OF OFFICERS
1. The officers shall consist of President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Chair and Newsletter Chair.
2. Term of office for each officer shall be for one (1) year.
3. The president shall preside at meetings of the membership and meetings of the Board of Directors, and shall be an ex-officio member of any committees established by the chapter with the exception of the Nominating Committee, and shall have cosign authority on the bank accounts. The President, with the advice and consent of the Executive Committee, shall appoint all standing committees, shall be authorized to sign any and all communications between the chapter and The Knitting Guild of America*.
4. The Vice-President shall assist the President and serve in the absence of the President. The Vice-President shall serve as the Chairman of the Program Committee.
5. The Secretary shall keep minutes of all proceedings of meetings of the membership and the Board of Directors. The Secretary shall take care of any correspondence.
6. The Treasurer shall receive and disburse all money, present a statement of the current financial condition of the chapter at all meetings of the Board of Directors and Membership Meetings, as required, and make the tax exempt letter available to those making purchases for OPK. The President shall be added to the bank accounts with equal access with one signature required on checks under the amount of $1000.00. Checks $1000.00 and over will require both the Treasurer and President signatures.
7. The Membership Chair shall collect dues, give the dues money to the Treasurer after keeping records of who has paid, keep membership information and list updated, report number of members at the Board and General meetings.
8. The Newsletter Chair shall create the newsletter based on input from the VP/Program Chair; emails/mails the newsletter the first of the month; sends out a meeting reminder to the members on the Sunday prior to the monthly meeting; emails/mails the approved Membership Directory to the membership at the beginning of each year; and emails/mails the New Member Guide to a new member as directed by the Membership Chair.
ARTICLE IX -- COMMITTEES
1. Old Pueblo Knitters shall have standing committees for: Community Service Hospitality Newsletter/Mailing Publicity Workshops Yarn Shop Liaison And other necessary committees. ARTICLE X -- PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURES
Robert=s Rules of Order, Newly Revised shall govern all procedures and parliamentary matters of Old Pueblo Knitters meetings.
ARTICLE XI -- PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE These By-Laws may be amended, repealed or altered in part by a two-thirds vote of those members present at a scheduled general meeting that has a quorum. Thirty percent of the membership shall constitute a quorum necessary for a vote.
*Name changed to The Knitting Guild Association -2003